The following people (Wayne Robinson and Bernard Wells) provide tuition for bluegrass and old-time instrument styles.
Where teaching is provided:
– teaches from home in Stokes Valley
I have been playing bluegrass banjo since age of sixteen and clawhammer for about twenty years. I have recorded in studios for albums as well as TV and radio jingles. I have taught banjo for the last twenty five years.
I’ve authored a self teach bluegrass banjo book, which is for sale. The book contains thirty two step by step exercises, beginning from very basic picking patterns through various banjo playing techniques, leading up to complete but simple tunes towards the end. All notation is written in easy to read tablature. The book comes with a companion CD which includes all exercises in the book, played first slowed down then at a reasonable tempo.
Localities where teaching can be provided:
teaches from home in Karori, Wellington
Over the last 40 years I have developed my acoustic guitar skills from finger style folk to jazz and flatpicking bluegrass & old timey styles. I’ve been playing mandolin for eighteen years and have recently been learning fiddle. I studied music theory and teaching as part of my five year music diplomas (in recorder).
Since the 1970s I’ve played in bands such as “The Highly Strung String Pickers” in Nelson. I have also played for many recording sessions and albums with bands Calle Cuba, Warren Love Band, Live Bait, Ballyscully and Baby Boomr Girl. I currently play in
Ballyscully, Chilli Jam, Dargaville , Baby Boomer Girl and with viola player Peter Daly.
What I can offer:
– I teach either by ear or with TAB or notation
– a good foundation on left and right hand techniques, using either plectrum(flatpick) or fingerpicking
– relaxed technique with special attention to breathing
– an approach that combines the theory of music(scales, chords, knowledge of the fingerboard) with the music
– tuition on accompanying yourself while singing
– how to use the capo and find the right key for your voice
– how to take a break, either solo on a tune or chord progression
– different back up styles including bass runs and Texas Swing “jazz” backup
– a large collection of cool tunes to pick in styles from old time, bluegrass, celtic, contra, klezmer and Balkans
I have professional recording facilities
Wellington Bluegrass Society, Petone New Zealand
for good fun and fine music !