Concerts, Society Nights and Workshops
- Friday 1st November – Concert – We Mavericks
- Saturday 2nd November – Concert – Missy Raines Trio
- Saturday 9th November – Concert – Gitbox Rebellion
- Sunday 10th November – Old Time Music jam session (free)
- Sunday 10th November – Clawhammer banjo workshop ($30 – bookings essential)
- Saturday 7th December – Concert – Catherine (BB) Bowness and Alex Rubin Duo
- Sunday 8th December – Bluegrass Music jam session (free)
- Sunday 8th December – Bluegrass banjo workshop ($30 – bookings essential)
- Friday 13th December – Concert – Rachel Baiman and George Jackson
for further details on these future WBS events go to the Coming Events page
for details on past events of this year go to the 2019 Past Events page
The Founder and President of the Society is Andrew Bicknell. Announced in the Queens Birthday Honours on Monday 3rd June 2019, Andrew was awarded a Queen’s Service Medal for thirty years of services to music! The Medal was awarded at Government House on 17th September 2019. See the About WBS page for further detail.
Mr Andrew Paul Bicknell: For services to music
Mr Andrew Bicknell has run the Wellington Bluegrass Society since establishing it in 1990.
Over the last 29 years Mr Bicknell has established an internationally recognised venue and following for performers to showcase their music. He has organised at least two concerts every month featuring local, national and international performers. Whilst having bluegrass as a base, his stage has extended to a wide range of high calibre performers of music genres. He has coordinated all bookings and negotiations with artists and service providers alike, then for each show has handled all bookings and ticketing himself. All profits for every show have been given to the performers concerned, to recognise each with the maximum return possible. On top of this, he also writes and sends regular newsletters, creates the graphic design needs for every aspect of the Society, creates website content, organises workshops and music camps for the teaching of instruments and voice, has helped connect those who need tuition or instrument repairs, and has been a point of contact for those wanting information or assistance with the music. Mr Bicknell has encouraged many others to take up instruments, develop their voices, form bands and helped to give them the chance to perform.
(and for known information on the threat to the WBS venue go to the Threat to venue page)
and much more to come – keep an eye on this website for details for future events !!
Wellington Bluegrass Society, Petone New Zealand
for good fun and fine music !